Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eating 'normally' while out


  After having a great work out at the gym after J got out of work, we contemplated our dinner choices.  We'd eaten at home the past couple of nights, so I suggested that we eat out somewhere.  J agreed, and we decided that we would grab sandwiches.  

To me, sandwiches are usually a safe food choice.  At most sub shops I can build my own sandwich and order the 'healthiest' options, which cause me the least anxiety.  Such was the case last night, or so I thought...

We pulled up to Blimpie's (I've never actually been there!), but two doors down was a local sub shop that looked pretty neat.  So, we decided to eat there.

Well, one glance at the menu and sweat starting building at various places on my body.  No where in sight did they have a 'healthy' and simple Turkey-lettuce-tomato On Wheat.  Every one of their sandwich choices were very creative specialty creations topped with sauces.  And for the sides you had a choice of chips, potato salad, or cole-slaw.  What was that--  Fat, fat, and fat?

I think I must have looked like a deer in the headlights because J asked me if I was "Okay?" and if I wanted to eat there.  I mumbled something about not being able to find anything healthy on the menu.  Meanwhile, my stomach rumbled with protest.  So I listened to my stomach, and told him it was okay to eat there.

I ordered something that sounded amazingly delicious: turkey, cheese, avocado, mayo, on a ciabatta roll, with a side of potato salad.  Now let me interject to tell you something silly:  I had to ask the sandwich guy what a ciabatta roll was.  
Do you know why I don't know what a ciabatta roll is?  Because I am so petrified of secret fat and calories that I have never veered past white and wheat bread.  I know.  Ridiculous.

Regardless of my knowledge in bread, the sandwich was amazing!  Eating it was like goodness wrapped up in deliciousness wrapped up in love.  And you know what I did after?  I asked J to stop at Subway so that we could get a couple of cookies for dessert.

VICTORY!

I'm proud to say that I handled eating out pretty well this time around.

Tell me, how do you handle eating outside of your home?

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you listened to your stomach and gave it the nourishment you need and deserve. Ciabatta is delicious! Eating in restaurants used to terrify me. I would order the same thing no matter where we went: salad with no dressing. How sad is that? I don't eat in restaurants very often anymore, but when I do, I order whatever sounds the most delicious instead of whatever has the least amount of calories. Life is too short to eat salad with no dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently posted an article about eating healthy while at a restaurant. I often have clients that have to travel for business or attend dinners on a more than frequent basis. Check it out to see what advice I give to them that they stick to!

    Here is a link that will put you directly at my blog about eating:
    http://trainwithelite.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-eat-healthy-at-restaurant.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard for me to eat out at places that I don't consider to be my "safe" places. It makes me really nervous to order certain meals if I don't know the amount of calories in them.

    Luckily, Stu is super patient and understanding. So we work through it together. So that does help me to conquer some of my anxiety of eating out.

    BTW I love reading your posts; they are so inspiring and great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls!

    Elite Personal Training- my problem isn't that I don't know how to eat healthy at a restaurant. It's that I know how to eat WAY too healthy at a restaurant! Sometimes I ruin my entire experience.

    Thank you for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! Victory!!

    I can't stand eating out unless there's a salad on the menu....Or if I'm with someone I know will help me through the meal..Otherwise eating out, is very scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay that's amazing!(: I don't really like eating out every much.. I guess it depends on the place. I'm eating out today, but it's healthy food and I look up the menu before I actually go there. Yeah, it's stupid but I can't even see the menu when I go there, and I panic if I don't know it already. I guess that would be something to challenge soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is triumphantly "yawe-some"...as in Yasi Awesome.

    I usually pull the waitress aside and smile pretty and tell her I am sorry. Then say...what I want is a piece of fish, some steamed veggies and like a BIG salad. No oil. No butter. Can you ask the chef to do that for me? No oil no butter on anything. No croutons. No cheese on the salad and no dressing just oil and vinegar on the side.

    Its usually no big deal since when I do eat out it is never at chain restaurants. BUT this post inspired me to to be a bit more relaxed next time. There is nothing wrong inherently with what I do (for a normal person) but I love a good scare/challenge. Afterwards I'm always like "Really? That was nothing. And delicious."

    ~Missy

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave Some Love & Inspiration!