Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pretty Food


  
    I am happy with my diet and my lifestyle: a simple statement that means a lot coming from a person recovering from disordered eating.  On top of that I have not weighed myself in over 2 weeks.  I'm feeling much less 'eating disordered' and much more 'health conscious'.  I've been going out of my way to try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts, and protein.  And I've barely eaten ANY junk-y food in the past couple of weeks.  

    Today was a really fun food day.  I had a schmorgasbord of different healthy foods and they were all absolutely delicious!  For breakfast I had the usual 2 pieces of 100% wheat toast with cream cheese and tea.  Before I went to the gym I had a plum and a handful of almonds (an excellent source of good fat).  After the gym I went grocery shopping and bought lots of yummy fresh foods.  In fact, there wasn't ONE thing in a container in my cart (well except the deodorant!).  On the way to the car I snacked on carrots, and once I got home I snacked on broccoli.  Then I made a fabulous dinner of salmon (This is SO EASY:  massage olive oil, lemon pepper, and salt on the salmon fillet, wrap in foil and put on the George Forman Grill for 15 minutes!), a salad (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, avocados, with salt and pepper and raspberry vinaigrette dressing), and cheesy mashed potatoes from scratch (click here for recipe).  And I plan on eating some watermelon after dinner for dessert (YUM!!). 

    Between going to the gym with my friend and eating foods that resemble a rainbow, I am pretty damn jolly!  I thought it would be fun to break the foods down by color (Fun for ME!!  Not sure if it's fun for you to read, hehe)  :

Red- tamotoes
Green- broccoli, romaine lettuce, avocado, olive oil 
Orange-  carrots
Pink- salmon, watermelon
Purple- plum
yellow- cheese
Brown- almonds, 100% wheat bread

  The only rainbow color missing is blue and the only blue foods I can think of are blueberries!  Anywho, I have a few topics that I would like to blog about in the near future including:

-Why 113 pounds is such a "critical" number to me
-Being forced to eat out and the stress it causes
-The value put on thinness and body image and body dysmorphia

    But I may not be able to blog a lot in the next week or so because I'm graduating and my parents are coming in for the week!!

    So tell me, when you eat do you think of the nutritional content and try to eat a 'well-balanced' diet or do you just look at calories or fat? (I used to do the latter, now I do the former)

    Also, is there anything in particular you'd like to read a post about?

    Have a great week everyone!!

  :)


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors of fresh produce. I like to tell myself the brighter the colors, the healthier the food. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's my mantra, hahahaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, in regards to my eating, I think I probably look more at the fat and calorie content...within reason.

    Have you noticed that foods with more whole grains also have more calories? I know they are MUCH more healthy, so I eat them despite calorie content.

    Enjoy graduation! And although it might stress you, stay healthy when you eat out...a lot of restaurants are TRYING to offer healthier alternatives. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your blogging about your eating changes . . .and love that picture of you eating the salad - so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave Some Love & Inspiration!